It’s almost Summer and we are gearing up with tons of fun summertime inspired posts. We love essential oils & all of their amazing benefits, and seasonal, festive DIYs are just an added bonus. I wanted to share a few of the things we have been using them for in the last few weeks, tons of fun ways to incorporate them into your everyday that I hope you will love.
1. Mermaid Hair Leave-in Conditioner // In a 2oz. glass spray bottle, combine 1/4 cup distilled water + 1 tablespoon coconut milk + 10 drops essential oil (lavender + rosemary). Shake before each use + store in the refrigerator. PS. Did you know that you can also add a few drops of Lavender to your shampoo during every hair wash to promote healthy hair growth!?
2. Outdoor Spray // Fill a 4oz glass bottle with close to 2oz. each of witch hazel & distilled water. Add 10 drops Lemongrass + 10 drops Lavender + 5 drops Geranium + 5 drops Citronella. Shake before each use and avoid spraying on face, I prefer to spray lightly on back of the head/shirt & around ankles/shoes. I also mist this in the air around the deck before we sit down for dinner outside!
3. Sugar Scrub // Sugar scrubs are so fun because the possibilities are endless! The ratios that I use are 1 cup of sugar (white or brown) + 1/4 cup of oil (coconut, almond or jojoba)+ 10-15 drops of essential oil. This makes one small mason jar which should last a few weeks! Using these ratios, you can pretty much make any kind of sugar scrub using things you have on hand. A few of my favorite oil combos are Orange + Stress Away, Lavender + Geranium OR Grapefruit + Peppermint. These make amazing gifts, you can triple the recipe and make a few smaller jars to give to teachers, moms, etc. Please note to avoid peppermint if nursing and to avoid citrus oils on skin before spending time in the sun.
4. Sweet Summertime Room Spray // In a 15 oz. spray bottle, add 10 drops Orange + 10 drops Stress Away + 5 drops Peppermint + 5 drops Lavender and top with distilled water. Mist around your home or on linens to freshen the room (from 12+ inches to make sure oil does not stain) for a summery, beachy vibe!
5. Homemade Play-Dough // You will need 1 cup of flour, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of salt, 1 tbsp. cream of tartar, 3-5 drops of essential oil (I love using Lavender, Stress Away or Peace & Calming) + food coloring of your choice. Whisk together all ingredients (except the oil) in a large pot on medium heat, stir until mixture becomes thick & clumpy, once it sticks together, pull out of the pot and place on wax paper to cool. One the play-dough has cooled, add your essential oils and mix well with your hands. This is such a fun activity to do with your kids, and using calming/relaxing essential oils will provide an aromatic environment that is soothing and entertaining at the same time!
We absolutely love oils & believe that every household should have them. If you don’t already use oils & want to get learn more, you can read more over here! In this post, I talk about 8 Ways We Use Essential Oils Everyday and to find any of the bottles or rollerballs mentioned above, it is all covered here in My Favorite Oil Swag.